Thursday, September 4, 2014

Day 1 - Home to Abilene, TX

351 Miles



As always on my bike trips I woke the rooster at 5:00am and was on the road by 6:00.  Don't like riding during the dark but the first 45 minutes is "in the Houston area" which is always lit up like a space shot launch pad anyway.  Had a nice little jaunt down Hwy 36 to Abilene.  Always a nice little ride.  I always enjoy seeing the scenery and vegetation change as I leave relatively wet eastern Texas and enter arid western Texas after crossing the 100th meridian.  That is the longitude which divides the U.S. between affluently watered and western scarcity.  You can actually view the difference.

Stopped at one of my favorite places, the drug store across from the county courthouse in Hamilton.  The courthouse is one of those old great courthouses built in the late 19th century.  The drug store has a great old time soda fountain.  I always try to time it so I can have a sundae and a cup of coffee.

Hamilton County Courthouse





The soda fountain














One of my favorite Texas ranches.







Arrived in Abilene early and met my friends the Criders for a great visit and dinner.

Heading out for New Mexico early tomorrow if my wake up history repeats.


No comments:

Post a Comment