Saturday, September 13, 2014

Day 10 - Henderson, NV to Gallup, NM

426 Miles
Day 10 Trip Map
 Up and at 'em early this morning.  Pulled out of Henderson about 7:15am heading for Boulder, thinking about one of my favorite Emmy Lou Harris tunes (one of the few she wrote), 'From Boulder to Birmingham.'

Hoover Dam (the wet side)






Easy to see the water level is down quite a bit.




Betsy being bad at Boulder by the Bridge.







Lake Mead




Generic Arizona scenery between Boulder and Kingman.



After leaving the dam I set the GPS for Flagstaff and points east and boogied it east on Hwy 93 catching I-40 E at Kingman, Az.  That was a pretty good little ride, but, as usual, that ended with the slab.  After Flagstaff I pushed on east through Winslow (didn't see the Eagles mural) heading for Holbrook.  My intent was to cut south through the Arizona high country.  I changed my mind when I saw a bunch of rain showers off in that direction.  I think the Arizona mountains around Payson and Show Low are great, and love to visit them, but I wasn't in the mood for any Arizona mountain rains.  I'd seen enough of them in 2006 (NA Motorcycle Ride - Day 3) thank you.  So I contined to push east toward New Mexico.

I stopped in Williams, AZ for some pie and coffee at a nice little place (Pine Country Restaurant)  The pie was to die for...and the coffee great, but then, most places serve good coffee now, don't they?  (A tip of the hat probably has to go to Starbucks I think.)  The pie was excellent but the service stunk so I voted with my wallet (i.e., as in tip).  I only mention it because I thought it an interesting town worthy of a weekend visit or more if you're a hunter.  I'm sure there must be some skiing around (but not for me...If God wanted Texans to ski BS would be white).  Cute little stores and tourist shops, etc.  Enough to make everyone happy I would think.

Pulled into Gallup with a rain storm threatening.  Dodged it and got Betsy properly covered before it hit.





No comments:

Post a Comment